Questions comments or suggestions? Contact us at
[email protected].

-->
The Student News Site of High School for Mathematics, Science and Engineering

The Echo

The Echo

The Echo

PTA members at the Italian pasta table
Cuisine on the Quad
June 20, 2024
Natalie Franchin and Alex DeVita: Best Prom King and Queen
Best of: Prom!
June 20, 2024

Sizzling Summer Ventures

Opportunities to Make the Most of Your Break

Summer! A time of joy and relaxation! With time to lounge around all day and delightful weather that’s perfect for an outdoor adventure! 

However, since preparation for college is coming up, all HSMSE students of all grade levels should also use some of their time during the summer to improve their resume. From summer programs to internships, taking on something during the summer can help make you a strong candidate to college admission officers. Although it is recommended that you mainly go onto online sources like LinkedIn/Indeed to find opportunities for yourself, I have listed just a couple options for you here to start with:

Library Assistant

Want to improve your organization skills and help others out? If so, then being a library assistant is the job for you. You get to shelve books, organize materials, and assist in library events. And you don’t have to worry about availability, ‘cause most of the libraries in NYC offer this opportunity over the summer. Since this opportunity solely depends on which library is located near you, the best thing to do is to contact your local library via email or phone number. Search up your nearby library locations using the following links! 

Class Central – Ivy League Courses

If you want to do Ivy league courses over the summer, then you can sign up now! Class Central offers completely online classes that you can take and even get certificates for. Although many of these courses offer free certificates, others require a payment from the default 49$ to the customized 130$ (like from Harvard) for their certificate. The good news is that they accept financial aid. Simply click the “Financial Aid Available” button next to the “Enroll for Free” button, and continue for financial aid. You better get started soon though, as it takes a whopping 16 days to get your request reviewed!

Future Imagemaker Workshop

This is a free photography workshop at NYU that is taught by NYU faculty! According to the program description, “Students will work in the classrooms and digital labs in the Department of Photography & Imaging, at NYU Tisch School of the Arts at 721 Broadway at Waverly Place.” Although this program has already run from February – May 2023, the dates might change for the 2024 session. Since you have to travel to NYU by 10:00 AM, one requirement is that you have to live close to the college, albeit there are many more requirements as well. No previous photography experience is required— just passion! Since the application opens on August 1, 2023 – you should await it!

McDonalds:

This might seem like a joke. But, if you want to enter into the working world (and grow independent), then this is one of the easiest places to start.  They will pay you minimum wage for each hour you work, but they don’t require any work experience. Simply go onto google and search “McDonald job for high school students.” I’m sure there are other fast food options (like Chipotle) that might offer high school students jobs, but … McDonalds is the most accessible option right now.

Linkedin/Indeed Opportunities:

Not an opportunity, but many! By searching LinkedIn for jobs for high school students, you can immediately find any summer opportunities that are posted. Simply go onto the website and type into the search bar “jobs for high school students.” You can customize your job preferences by clicking on the “All filters” button near the top of the page! However, if LinkedIn doesn’t work out, you can turn to its number one alternative, Indeed. When you search for opportunities on Indeed, you can customize your job preferences by clicking the buttons near the top (Location, Company, Shift and Schedule, etc) …