Times Square traffic jam in New York City by joiseyshowaa on flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/joiseyshowaa/7454479488
Congestion Pricing
April 10, 2024
Jackie and her brother, Daniel.
Smiling for Survivors
April 10, 2024
Original art by Sanjida Sultana
Stanley Cup Tracker
April 10, 2024

Eating Out at MSE

Buying lunch off campus at HSMSE can be both stressful and complicated, especially for a new HSMSE student. There are over 35 restaurants, delis, and food trucks within just a 4 block radius of HSMSE. It can be daunting to decide what restaurant to pick for your 45-minute lunch and it is not exactly like you receive a guide from HSMSE. Who better to help you with this dilemma than HSMSE students themselves who eat here every day?

When it comes to your eating location of choice, there are usually six important criteria to consider: food quality, price, quantity, customer service, distance, and speed. The Echo asked HSMSE students at five of the most popular eating locations to rate them on a scale of 0 to 5 stars for each of the criteria. Based on student feedback, The Echo then ranked each lunch option from “worst” option to “best.” These ratings are not based on anyone’s single opinion, they are based on the combined ratings of many different HSMSE students who have eaten at several of the establishments. 

5. Pepo’s Pizza 

If you are booking for fast and easy-to-eat food, Pepo’s Pizza is a great option.. “It feels like my food is ready before I even order,” said Soba M, 10th grader. However, there is a tradeoff for speed. Many people noted that the price and distance of Pepo’s Pizza make it not their favorite option. 

Address: 1522 Amsterdam Ave, New York, NY 10031

Food quality 2.3/5 ★★✬☆☆

Food price 1/5 ★☆☆☆☆

Food quantity 3/5 ★★★☆☆

Customer service 2.5/5 ★★✬☆☆

Distance 1.5/5 ★✬☆☆☆

Speed 5/5 ★★★★⭐

Overall 2.5/5 ★★✬☆☆

4. Grand Great Wall 

Many students enjoy the food at Grand Great Wall even more than at Pepo’s Pizza but there were some issues and concerns with customer service: “I was yelled at when I attempted to point out a mistake they made in my order,” says Tuman G, a 10th grader. 

Address: 1588 Amsterdam Ave, New York, NY 10031

Food quality 2/5★★☆☆☆

Food price 2/5 ★★☆☆☆

Food quantity 4/5 ★★★★☆

Customer service 1/5 ★☆☆☆☆

Distance 5/5 ★★★★⭐

Speed 2/5 ★★☆☆☆

Overall 2.6/5 ★★✬☆☆

3. Tidal Tea 

Tidal Tea is awesome with the best customer service rating of all the restaurants reviewed here. Likewise, they are very fast and can get your drink almost instantly. There is really only one reason that Tidal Tea didn’t place higher and that is because they are more of a drink store and don’t really sell food: “I really enjoy coming here but I only come here for a drink and then I also have to buy other food.” — Charlie H,10th grader. 

Address: 1520 Amsterdam Ave, New York, NY 10031

Food quality 4.5/5 ★★★★✬

Food price 3.5/5 ★★★✬☆

Food quantity 2.5 /5 ★★✬☆☆

Customer service 5/5 ★★★★⭐

Distance 2/5 ★★☆☆☆

Speed 5/5 ★★★★⭐

Overall 3.75/5 ★★★✬☆

2. Amsterdam Sushi 

There really isn’t much wrong with Amsterdam Sushi, which would have ranked first if it wasn’t for the distance you have to travel to get there. They have great food and really good customer service. “You can’t go wrong with sushi and they make really good rolls here,” said Hadrien B, 10th grade. 

Address: 1518 Amsterdam Ave, New York, NY 10031

Food quality 5/5 ★★★★⭐

Food price 3/5 ★★★☆☆

Food quantity 4.5/5 ★★★★✬

Customer service 4.5/5 ★★★★✬

Distance 3/5 ★★★☆☆

Speed 4/5 ★★★★☆

Overall 3.88/5 ★★★✬☆

1. Burger and Shake

At the number 1 slot is Burger and Shake with the highest overall score of 4.2/5. It’s so close to campus and the food quality and quantity is good. Almost any lunch period, you’ll see a long line of HSMSE students out the door there. “I love the burgers here and their chicken is amazing, plus the employees are so nice.” — Cyrus G, 10th grade. 

Address: 1625 Amsterdam Ave, New York, NY 10031

Food quality 4.33/5 ★★★★✬

Food price 3.66/5 ★★★✬☆

Food quantity 4/5 ★★★★☆

Customer service 5/5 ★★★★⭐

Distance 4.33/5 ★★★★✬

Speed 4/5 ★★★★☆

Overall 4.2 ★★★★✬

HSMSE students are lucky to be surrounded by so many different kinds of food. Get out and try some of the places reviewed here and form your own opinion. If you think that The Echo left any notable places out, please let us know for future reviews.