The Student News Site of High School for Mathematics, Science and Engineering

The Echo

The Echo

The Echo

Times Square traffic jam in New York City by joiseyshowaa on flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/joiseyshowaa/7454479488
Congestion Pricing
April 10, 2024
Jackie and her brother, Daniel.
Smiling for Survivors
April 10, 2024
Original art by Sanjida Sultana
Stanley Cup Tracker
April 10, 2024

Sunscreen and Ice Cream: Summer Go-Tos

Original Art by Sanjida Sultana

What is the first thing that comes to mind when you think of summer? Is it an emotion? An item? The feeling of the warm breeze in your hair? Summer is a time of freedom. As students, our lives are filled with anxiety and worry. Summer is our time to relax and enjoy the world around us. So how can you optimize those months? What are the essential elements that make up a summer to remember? 

Firstly, sunscreen in the summer is a must. It is important to protect our skin from increased sun exposure, otherwise you risk aging prematurely, skin discoloration, and on the extreme side, skin cancer. Some of the top reviewed sunscreens for summer 2023 are the Ultra Sheer Neutrogena, the Unseen Supergood, and the Blue Lizard Australian Sunscreen. They range in prices and ingredients, so make sure to find one that works for you! Many people also suggest buying a handheld fan, to stay cool. 

To me, summer has always been a slice of cold watermelon paired with an icy glass of lemonade. I asked fellow MSE students about their favorite summer food, and unsurprisingly, the most popular item was ice cream! There is nothing better than a scoop of  your favorite ice cream flavor on a hot summer day. A few of the best ice cream shops in the world are here in NYC! 

Starting out strong in Brooklyn: Sugar Hill Creamery. Located in DUMBO’s Time Out Market, Sugar Hill makes some of the most flavorful  ice cream in the world. They are especially known for their distinct ingredient combinations hailing from the Caribbean. 

Moving onto Manhattan, The Chinatown Ice Cream Factory, located in Chinatown, is known for their durian, red bean, and pandan ice cream flavors. If you’re looking for a flavor you might not usually encounter, that’s the place to go! 

Finally, Eddie’s Sweet Shop, located in Forest Hills Queens, has been a staple of NYC for over 100 years. They have mastered classic, homemade ice cream and vintage malted milkshakes. Some of these delicious treats include, banana, butter pecan, and coconut ice cream.  

We are incredibly lucky to live in a city with much to eat and do! I personally hope to make this summer my very best one yet by filling it with fun activities and plenty of ice cream! Make sure to keep your skin safe and apply appropriate amounts of sunscreen.