Times Square traffic jam in New York City by joiseyshowaa on flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/joiseyshowaa/7454479488
Congestion Pricing
April 10, 2024
Jackie and her brother, Daniel.
Smiling for Survivors
April 10, 2024
Original art by Sanjida Sultana
Stanley Cup Tracker
April 10, 2024

Ducks: Man’s (new) Best Friend

Original Art by Kent He

In a world dominated by conventional pet choices like cats and dogs, it’s time to shed light on an underrated and highly entertaining option: ducks! Yes, that’s right — those adorable, web-footed creatures that grace our parks and ponds. What other animal can fly, walk, and swim? But there is more to it than that, just what about ducks makes them the greatest choice of companionship?

Ducks can be long-term companions, with lifespans ranging from 5 to 15 years, and in some cases, even up to 20 years in captivity. Your duck will be a friend and an integral part of your life for many years.

Ducks are also very resilient. They are well-equipped to handle various weather conditions, making them suitable for regions with colder climates and frequent rain. Their waterproof feathers and insulating down keep them cozy in wet and chilly weather. Unlike other animals that may seek shelter during rain or cold spells, ducks embrace the elements. Resilience is just one characteristic of their exceptionally charming personalities, an especially important trait in a city like New York, which experiences such variable weather.

Ducks bring an eco-friendly touch to our lives, enriching our surroundings without causing harm. Ducks are generally harmless to the environment and plants, making them an excellent addition for people with backyard spaces. Unlike some birds or animals that may cause damage, ducks are less likely to harm plants or mash the ground. In fact, their manure is highly beneficial, serving as a natural fertilizer that is more efficient than that of other birds.

Socializing is a natural part of a duck’s life. Ducks are social animals that can form strong bonds not only with humans but with other animals too. Their friendly and curious nature permits them to integrate well into multi-pet households. Whether it’s forming a friendship with a dog or cozying up to a cat, ducks bring a unique dynamic to the mix. They have the remarkable ability to bridge the gaps between species, fostering a harmonious and entertaining environment.

One of the most remarkable aspects of ducks is their ability to thrive in small spaces, this allows them to also live in apartments or houses with limited outdoor areas. They are relatively low-maintenance; unlike dogs, which require regular walks and large enclosures, ducks can adapt to smaller habitats without compromising their well-being. According to the Global Federation of Animal Sanctuaries and the RSPCA, you need around 1.5 square meters per duck.  While they don’t require to be walked frequently, ducks still enjoy spending time outdoors, exploring, and enjoying the fresh air.

As an egg-cellent bonus, your duck can lay eggs without the need for a partner, providing a practical benefit. Fresh, organic eggs straight from your pet duck can be a delightful addition to morning routines and culinary creations. It’s a unique advantage that some pet animals can’t offer, earning ducks a special place in your heart (and kitchen).

In a world filled with traditional pet choices, ducks offer a refreshing alternative. While dogs provide loyalty, cats offer independence, fish bring serenity, and birds bring melodious songs, ducks bring a whole new level of quirkiness, interactivity, and companionship. They remind us to find joy in the unconventional and to embrace the delightful surprises that come with having a feathery friend by your side.