Questions comments or suggestions? Contact us at
[email protected].

-->

The 5 Steps to Becoming a Cheese Master

Emily+Dow
Emily Dow

The school year is ending, and many seniors are going off to college without a clue about what they want to do with their life. If you are unsure about what career would suit you, don’t worry. There is a career perfect for you that will grant you happiness, a stable income, and, most importantly, cheese. That’s right: being a cheese master is a real option, and if you follow these 5 steps, you can make your dream a reality!

1. Be Passionate About the Craft. 

If you want to become a full-time cheese master, you can’t just like cheese—you have to love it. Not only do you have to be both ready and willing to learn absolutely everything about cheese, but you must also allow cheese to consume your entire life. Every thought that goes through your head must be cheese-related. You will eat, sleep, and breathe cheese. Cheese will forever be your number one priority. Put it this way: if you are not willing to sacrifice your life for cheese, this is not the career for you. 

2. Move to Wisconsin.

Naturally, pursuing such an awesome career does require some sacrifice. Hopefully, your aforementioned passion towards becoming a cheese master will help make this less-than-ideal move more stomachable. If not, go back to Step 1 because you clearly lack the devotion that’s necessary to become a cheese master. Wisconsin is the only state in America that offers prospective cheese masters an official certificate in master cheesemaking, so unless you are able to travel overseas for your dream job, Wisconsin is your best option. 

3. Start Making Cheese.

Once you touch down in Wisconsin, you should begin making cheese immediately. If you want to be a true master of cheese, you must be familiar with all aspects of cheese production, from the milking of a socially acceptable mammal to the fermentation of the curds. To be eligible for the cheese master certificate, you need at least 10 years of experience as a licensed cheese maker. So the sooner you start, the better.

4. Take the Test.

After years of intense training, you will finally be ready to take the official test and earn your cheese master certificate. The test requires a lengthy written essay, a thorough oral examination on your knowledge of cheese, and several self-made cheese samples to be tasted and evaluated by a group of cheese connoisseurs. It will be difficult, but if you follow Steps 1-3 to the letter, you will pass with flying colors.

5. Gloat.

Congratulations! All your hard work and dedication paid off, and you are now officially a cheese master! Now all that’s left to do is brag to all your friends and family, as well as anyone else you pass on the street. If they ask “who are you and why are you telling me this?,” you can tell them that you put in an impressive amount of work and are now a member of an elite group of foodies, of which there are less than 100 in the United States. You’ve earned the right to an ego boost. You did it!

Sources: 

https://www.bakercheese.com/news/wisconsin-master-cheesemaker-what-it-means#:~:text=In%20the%20state%20of%20Wisconsin,helm%20of%20its%20cheesemaking%20process

https://www.wisconsincheese.com/the-cheese-life/article/125/master-cheesemaker-program