Questions comments or suggestions? Contact us at
[email protected].

-->

Addi’s Summer Album Selection!

Collage made by Addison Saji

Looking for the perfect summer soundtrack? Here’s a list of some of my personal favorite albums, for whatever plans you have.

For a beach day…

Celebrity Skin — Hole

The first Hole album I fell in love with; Courtney Love, formerly married to Nirvana’s Kurt Cobain, is the lead singer on this high energy, rock-esque record. It’s angry, freeing, and energizing—perfect for splashing around in the ocean.

The Bends — Radiohead

Loud and angsty, this album screams hot weather. As one of Radiohead’s earlier albums, their sound isn’t as experimental as later records, making The Bends easier on the ears.

Transformer — Lou Reed

A sweet and fun Lou Reed classic, you’ll want to skip around on the sand, especially to “Perfect Day.”

On the way to your summer job…

Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band — The Beatles

One of my favorite Beatles albums, Sgt. Pepper’s is woven with hits and ends with the wonderful “A Day In The Life,” which I always listen to on the train to school.

Bookends — Simon & Garfunkel

Containing “Mrs. Robinson” from the movie The Graduate, Bookends is one of the duo’s most popular albums. Chill and folky, this album is great for waking up.

To Bring You My Love — PJ Harvey

To Bring You My Love, released in 1995, is an incredibly cohesive record unlike anything you’ve heard before. PJ Harvey is an icon of alternative and experimental music, and still continues to release music to this day. I want to be her when I grow up.

Fourth of July barbeque classics…

Flashpoint (live) — The Rolling Stones

If you’re looking for songs that everybody knows, live performances are often packed with popular tracks. And who’re more iconic than the Stones? This setlist brims with excitement.

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road — Elton John

A classic by a classic, you’ll find yourself singing along to most tracks on this upbeat masterpiece. I don’t think I’ve ever met someone who doesn’t like Elton John.

Sam’s Town — The Killers

The epitome of American classics—without being country—this Killers record will excite all the dads at your barbeque.

To relax on a rainy summer day…

Billie Holiday — Billie Holiday

This self-titled record is a mesmerizing portal to a more perfect world. Holiday’s voice is soothing and beautiful, and the instrumentals that accompany her are subtle yet effective.

Live at the Blue Note — Keith Jarrett

Keith Jarrett is perhaps my favorite pianist. His live performances at this famed jazz club (which is right here in NYC) are spectacular. Play this collection in the background while you read or relax for some added ambiance.

Julie Is Her Name — Julie London

The combination of gentle love songs and Julie London’s serene sound makes this album one of my favorites from the 1950s.

Dancing around the kitchen and making dinner…

Combat Rock — The Clash

I absolutely adore The Clash. They mix rock and reggae to create a genre which is entirely their own, and their lyrics are super intriguing. Combat Rock contains some of their biggest hits, which are guaranteed to put you in a good mood. If you like this album, listen to London Calling, which is partially based on the Three Mile Island disaster. 

Close To You — Carpenters

The Carpenters are a brother-sister duo, and their sound is light and clear—reminiscent of a cool summer day. 

Make It Big — Wham!

Loved by all, George Michael and Andrew Ridgely sure know how to put together a fun album. With hits like “Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go,” “Freedom,” and my personal favorite, “Everything She Wants,” you’ll be dancing in no time.

If you’re angry that you have to do school work over the break…

Permanent Waves — Rush

Short but powerful, this album is a gateway into Rush. Its style is more commercial rock, but still has Rush’s characteristic traces of experimentation. If you’re looking for more traditional Rush, check out 2112, the title track for which is written by Neil Peart, the band’s drummer, and based on Ayn Rand’s novel Anthem.

Appetite For Destruction — Guns N’ Roses

Where do I even start with this record? It’s a staple, godsend, and true rock n’ roll marvel without a single bad song. My own secret to success: listening to “Mr. Brownstone” every morning.

Long Live A$AP — A$AP Rocky

I don’t listen to rap on a daily basis, but this album is spectacular both instrumentally and in the artists it features—including Kendrick Lamar, 2 Chainz, Drake, and even Skrillex. It’s a crazy full circle moment to listen to “1Train” on the one train.