Wear What You Want

Original Art by Emily Dow

Walking around HSMSE, you can see some pretty fashionable people. I am not one of them. I usually wear the first thing I see in my closet in the morning, and instead of trying new clothes, I prefer to wear my 5 favorite outfits week after week. I don’t know much about current trends, but I’m pretty sure I’m behind them (or perhaps in front of them? Next to them? Something like that). Despite not being on top of current styles, I have strong preferences when it comes to my clothes and I think I should have the space to share them. It’s important to respect the different opinions, choices, and personalities of people at our school, including when it comes to fashion and the way we express ourselves. In an attempt to bring a little more positive energy to the world, I interviewed people around our school with the intention of hearing about their most distinctive fashion choices and encouraging HSMSE-ers to wear what they want.

When I spoke to Leandro Wiggins (‘26), he told me about his appreciation for non-synthetic jackets: “Although they are more expensive and I have fewer of them in quantity than I would if I bought the same value of synthetic jackets, I much prefer something that feels more real and that I like more and take better care of, such as this pea coat which is very unique.” Here, he pointed at his coat, which was draped on the back of a chair. For those who don’t know, the term “pea coat” refers to a wool coat with 2 sets of buttons and a lapel. Leandro said that he got it 2 years ago at a vintage store in Manhattan, and that he usually buys his coats from thrift stores. It’s not the specific material that he likes, but the elegant look: “It makes me feel happy and dignified about myself.” Wearing wool coats isn’t a controversial fashion choice, but it is an uncommon one: the material and double row of buttons stand out in a crowd of zippered puffer jackets and windbreakers.

While some unique styles are intended to stand out as a fashion statement, others are more comfort-focused. Julian Nguyen (‘25) said that he “personally doesn’t care” about whether or not the colors of a certain outfit go together. Sometimes he’ll wear bold combinations such as yellow and purple, which are complementary colors but also strikingly different. Other times he’ll wear pink and orange together, or light green pants with a darker green shirt. When I asked him why he liked wearing those colors together, he told me: “Realistically, sometimes I like certain colors together. Other times It’s really just that they both feel comfortable.” I can’t argue with that logic, having recently worn a striped dress with christmas-themed pajama pants in the name of comfort and convenience. Comfort isn’t just a physical sensation, though: it’s also how confident we feel in our clothes.

Chemistry teacher Mr. Thompson told me that wearing heels and suits with “flair” would probably be considered an unconventional fashion choice. He does it because he “like[s] how it looks… it can feel empowering, and [he’s] just living unapologetically.” He thinks that people should be comfortable with wearing clothes that make them feel happy, like he does when he wears heels. “If there’s a style that you like or if there’s someone in the media and you want to emulate that, then do it.” At the end of the day, the most important thing about your look is feeling confident in it, and that won’t happen if you wear clothes you don’t like. For example, I know (or at least believe based on observation) that low-rise jeans are pretty popular right now, but I don’t feel good when I wear them — so I don’t wear them! But Adidas sweatpants are also quite popular, and I love wearing those. There’s nothing wrong with following fashion trends or norms, but please don’t suppress your style or force yourself to wear things that make you feel uncomfortable. Style should make you feel good.

One unconventional fashion choice that makes me feel good is wearing dresses with jeans. Unless it’s warm enough for shorts, I always wear my dresses like that, partially due to the fact that I think it looks better than dresses with my Adidas sweatpants. Specifically, I like loose jeans with a knee-or-mid-thigh-length dress and a sweatshirt or hoodie on top, plus my jacket and maybe a purse. Many people do not see the appeal of wearing dresses with jeans: the jeans interrupt the form of the dress, and the usually more fancy dress style often contrasts with the casualness of the jeans. However, I like the pairing a lot. Jeans make me feel more comfortable with my body than the leggings or tights that are usually worn under dresses, and they have more pockets. Besides, I don’t think dresses and jeans “clash” when styled correctly, at least not in any negative sense. My friend Joven Wu agrees: “My initial impression was that you were just joking, and that it definitely is not a good combo. It just doesn’t fit together. … Once I saw it, I guess it depends on the type of dress and type of jeans you’re wearing. The way you wear it, I thought it was really cute.” I’m not trying to brainwash other people into wearing dresses with jeans, but I’m not going to stop wearing them myself. I think it’s a cute outfit choice that more people should consider!

While not everyone wants to wear distinctive or unusual styles, that doesn’t make those styles “worse” than more universally popular ones. After all, if everyone always wore the exact same thing, there wouldn’t be such a thing as fashion! It’s important to make clothing choices based on what you feel good in, rather than what you think other people think you look good in. And when it comes to interacting with others, don’t immediately dismiss or judge their fashion choices, especially out loud: while you may see your commentary as warranted, or even helpful to the person, it could come across as hurtful and make them feel insecure. When we respect our differences instead of criticizing them, it creates a supportive environment where people feel safe being themselves. The next time you see someone around our school whose style stands out, compliment them! They’ll feel more confident, and you’ll be making the world a more positive place.